Report: Messi to perform u-turn on Argentina retirement
Argentinean daily Olé says that new Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza will travel to Barcelona next week after Messi hinted he could be persuaded back.
Lionel Messi will renege on his international retirement and return to the Argentina national team fold, according to a report in daily publication Olé.
Bauza Barça visit
The incoming Argentina coach, Edgardo Bauza, will travel to Barcelona next week to speak to Messi and expects the Barcelona star to make himself available for selection for Argentina’s next fixtures, against Uruguay on September 1 and Venezuela on September 6.
Copa América defeat
Bauza, who is yet to sign his contract as Argentina coach, was clear in his mind as to his first priority when handed the job by the AFA after Gerardo Martino’s departure. Messi shocked the nation when he said after Argentina’s penalty shootout defeat by Chile in the final of the Copa América: “The Argentina national team is over for me.”
Messi "too important to lose"
“He is too important a player for a team to be without. Argentina cannot allow itself to lose Messi. But what we are planning is to have a chat with him and see if he is open to changing his mind. His teammates need to talk to him as well so he comes back on board,” Bauza said. According to Olé’s report, Messi is open to the idea of performing a u-turn on his decision, which he announced to reporters moments after Argentina’s crushing defeat to Chile.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS IRS checks: what does tax refund 30 mean?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos will be back one day, says Toni Kroos
- NFL Carl Nassib announcement "historical landmark" for NFL - Ryan Russell
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group E: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- NBA Coach Tyronn Lue hopes the home arena ambiance will help indisposed Clippers
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: why could the US be the next country hit with the delta variant?