Barça signing Marlon betting it all on becoming a blaugrana
The Brazil under-23 international, who has been compared to Thiago Silva, has swapped first team football at Fluminense for third-tier Barcelona B.
Brazilian Marlon Santos has bet the farm on succeeding at Camp Nou. An under-20 international who was part of the World Cup finalist squad last year, and called up to the under-23s last November, the Fluminense central defender had offers from top flight clubs across the major leagues but opted instead to move to Barcelona in spite of the fact that he will have to start out in the reserve side in Segunda B under Gerard López.
Brasileiro to Barça B
To switch playing first team football in the Brasileiro for Spain’s third tier is a move that only a player with supreme confidence in his ability would consider. Particularly if, as is the case with Marlon, there is no pay rise involved: the on-loan player will continue to pick up the same monthly cheque he did in Brazil.
Thiago Silva comparison
Barcelona secured Marlon’s services without a fee and have the option to buy at the end of the season for five million euros, although 3.2 million of that will be discounted against the money Barça paid to Fluminense for an option on Gerson, who eventually moved to Roma. If Marlon, who has been favourably compared to Thiago Silva in his native land, makes five appearances for the senior side, the purchase will be triggered automatically.
Marlon started the pre-season match against Leicester and has impressed Luis Enrique so far in his brief time as a blaugrana.
Te recomendamos en English
- COPA DEL REY Atlético stunned by Cultural Leonesa in Copa del Rey shock
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Setién and Valverde not that different, says De Jong
- SCHALKE 04 Todibo: "During training, you had to defend Messi with caution"
- MANCHESTER CITY Silva: "Real Madrid called me year after year but I didn't go"
- Manchester United How bad are Manchester United under Solskjaer?
- REAL MADRID Benzema: Real Madrid striker agrees contract extension