Luis Enrique tries to forget his Madrid days: "Next question"
The Barcelona coach avoided a question on Barcelona's European Cup final win over Sampdoria in 1992. He was a Real Madrid player back then...
With the Joan Gamper trophy match against Sampdoria on Wednesday night, Barcelona begin a year of commemoration for the 25th anniversary of the club’s European Cup win at Wembley in 1992 (the first of the five that the Catalan side have in its silverware cabinet today).
In that final – mythical for all Barcelonistas – Johan Cruyff’s dream team played Sampdoria, and for that reason the Italians have been invited to play in the annual Gamper friendly.
When Luis Enrique was asked at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday of his memories of that game in 1992 and where he was when he saw it, the Barça coach didn’t want to go into any detail: “I don’t remember and it’s almost better that I don’t remember. You all already know where I was at a professional level at that time, so next question.”
The explanation is quite simple. At that time, Luis Enrique was playing for Real Madrid, an era during which the Barça coach has said: “I don’t recognise myself, not even on the football stickers”
Te recomendamos en English
- BUNDESLIGA Timo Werner: "Only Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are playing at Lewandowski's level"
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo allays fitness fears: "I'm not well. I'm very well"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to improve VAR in-stadium communication with fans
- INTERNATIONAL Marcello Lippi steps down after China's defeat to Syria
- SPAIN-MALTA Sergio Ramos: "Madrid lose out because of Clásico kick-off time"
- BRAZIL-ARGENTINA Brazil-Argentina: Five talking points ahead of the clash in Riyadh