Luis Enrique tries to forget his Madrid days: "Next question"
The Barcelona coach avoided a question on Barcelona's European Cup final win over Sampdoria in 1992. He was a Real Madrid player back then...
With the Joan Gamper trophy match against Sampdoria on Wednesday night, Barcelona begin a year of commemoration for the 25th anniversary of the club’s European Cup win at Wembley in 1992 (the first of the five that the Catalan side have in its silverware cabinet today).
In that final – mythical for all Barcelonistas – Johan Cruyff’s dream team played Sampdoria, and for that reason the Italians have been invited to play in the annual Gamper friendly.
When Luis Enrique was asked at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday of his memories of that game in 1992 and where he was when he saw it, the Barça coach didn’t want to go into any detail: “I don’t remember and it’s almost better that I don’t remember. You all already know where I was at a professional level at that time, so next question.”
The explanation is quite simple. At that time, Luis Enrique was playing for Real Madrid, an era during which the Barça coach has said: “I don’t recognise myself, not even on the football stickers”
Te recomendamos en English
- GEORGE FLOYS PROTESTS George Floyd death in Minneapolis, live updates: police, riots and protests across US
- GEORGE FLOYD DEATH George Floyd autopsy: no sign of traumatic asphyxia or strangling
- BUNDESLIGA Havertz’s goal-scoring form puts him in Bundesliga record books
- LALIGA La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kompany turns down offer to be Guardiola's assistant at Manchester City
- CORONAVIRUS New York state reopening: which shops, business and offices can open in phase 2?