Coach Marcelino García Toral has left Villarreal less than a week before the club are due to play in their Champions League qualifier against Monaco.
Differences with directors
The club decided to dispense of Marcelino’s services because of differences with the Board of Directors, despite the fact that he has a contract until 2019. The news comes as a second hammer-blow to Villarreal in the space of 24 hours, with star striker Roberto Soldado having only just been ruled out for six months with cruciate knee ligament injury.
Villarreal released a statement on Wednesday evening thanking Marcelino for his time as coach, as well as his assistants Rubén Uría and Ismael Fernández, who are also relieved of their duties.
Intense discussions over signings
Marcelino had held intense discussions with the club on the issue of signings recently, the latest being over Brazilian striker Pato. And as recently as today, Villareal were in negotiations with Real Madrid for Castilla forward Mariano, who they want on loan for the injured Soldado.
However, Marcelino was unable to clear up his differences with a section of the club’s hierarchy, triggering an untenable situation that’s resulted in his departure at a very inopportune time.
Te recomendamos en English
- Halloween What is the history and meaning of Halloween?
- DISNEY+ The Mandalorian Season 2: how many episodes and when are they released on Disney+?
- US Election 2020 What's Biden's plan for Medicare?
- Coronavirus Main Street Lending Program: what changes did Federal Reserve make to small business loans?
- US Election 2020 How many votes did Trump get in Florida in the 2016 presidential election?
- US Election 2020 What's Biden's plan for the economy, stimulus and unemployment?