Coach Marcelino García Toral has left Villarreal less than a week before the club are due to play in their Champions League qualifier against Monaco.
Differences with directors
The club decided to dispense of Marcelino’s services because of differences with the Board of Directors, despite the fact that he has a contract until 2019. The news comes as a second hammer-blow to Villarreal in the space of 24 hours, with star striker Roberto Soldado having only just been ruled out for six months with cruciate knee ligament injury.
Villarreal released a statement on Wednesday evening thanking Marcelino for his time as coach, as well as his assistants Rubén Uría and Ismael Fernández, who are also relieved of their duties.
Intense discussions over signings
Marcelino had held intense discussions with the club on the issue of signings recently, the latest being over Brazilian striker Pato. And as recently as today, Villareal were in negotiations with Real Madrid for Castilla forward Mariano, who they want on loan for the injured Soldado.
However, Marcelino was unable to clear up his differences with a section of the club’s hierarchy, triggering an untenable situation that’s resulted in his departure at a very inopportune time.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Coronavirus US: Pfizer vs Moderna vaccine side effects
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why are there 5 Olympic rings and what they stand for?
- TAX REFUND 2021 tax refund: why have I not received my payment?
- E3 2021 Nintendo Direct conference & Treehouse at E3 2021: times, stream online, and how to watch