Olympiacos contract Bento after Víctor Sánchez sacked
The former Deportivo coach had only been in charge of the Greek champions for 48 days after he replaced Marco Silva in June. Bento has signed two-year deal.
Greek giants Olympiacos Piraeus have appointed Paulo Bento as coach after sacking Víctor Sánchez, the Super League champions said on Thursday.
The 47-year-old former Portugal manager, who led his country from 2010 to 2014, becomes the team's third coach in just two months after fellow countryman Marco Silva and Spaniard Sánchez.
"Olympiacos would like to announce the start of its co-operation with the Portuguese technician Paulo Bento," Olympiacos said in a statement.
Contract details were not disclosed but local media reported that Bento had signed a two-year deal.
Silva, who had guided Olympiacos to a record 43rd league title last season, resigned unexpectedly on June 23 and 40-year-old former Deportivo coach Sánchez was announced as his successor.
However, poor pre-season form including defeat in the third qualifying round of the Champions League by Israeli debutants Hapoel Beer Sheva led to the dismissal of Sánchez after 48 days in charge.
Bento has also coached Sporting Lisbon, where he twice finished league runners-up and won two Portuguese Cups, as well as Brazilian team Cruzeiro.
Te recomendamos en English
- FA Cup Liverpool face potential Chelsea clash in FA Cup fifth round
- REAL MADRID Courtois: "It's special to play for Zidane as he was always a role model"
- ARSENAL Pablo Marí's Arsenal move on verge of collapse
- BUNDESLIGA Hertha Berlin sign Tousart, loan midfielder back to Lyon
- LALIGA Valencia president in Barcelona negotiating Rodrigo sale
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Cavani: Atlético signing imminent - player sources