Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola cast doubt on goalkeeper Joe Hart's future at the club on Friday after indicating that his place in the squad was up for discussion.
Hart, 29, has been City's first-choice goalkeeper for the past six seasons, contributing to two Premier League title wins, two League Cup successes and their 2011 FA Cup triumph. But media reports suggest Guardiola wants to replace him with Barcelona's Marc-Andre ter Stegen and the new City manager failed to give Hart a ringing endorsement when asked about the matter.
Pep: "We're are going to decide, but now he's our player"
"I'm so happy about [Joe's] qualities, his behaviour, what he means to this club," Guardiola said, on the eve of his side's opening league game at home to Sunderland on Saturday. "After, we are going to decide inside [the club]....[but] now he's our player."
Guardiola took City's pre-season spending to around 150 million pounds ($194.9 million, 174.1 million euros) earlier this week by signing young English centre-back John Stones from Everton for 47.5 million pounds.
Stones fit for opener, Sané misses out
Guardiola said Stones was fit to play against Sunderland, having made several appearances for Everton in pre-season. But Germany winger Leroy Sane, a 37 million pounds capture from Schalke, will not feature, having not trained this week due to a hamstring complaint.
Te recomendamos en English
- DIEGO MARADONA Maradona's inheritance: the fortune includes houses and cars
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Barcelona go for five in a row, Ronaldo after another record
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho optimistic over Kane return for Arsenal
- ARSENAL Arteta confident goals will come for Arsenal
- US NEWS US Elections: Georgia elections official tells Trump to stop inspiring violence
- US congress What has Congress said about the government shutdown deadline?