Atlético mulling a replacement for injured keeper Moyá
The reserve keeper is expected to be out of action for two months, leaving Diego Simeone with a potential headache between the sticks.
Atlético Madrid are considering reinforcements between the sticks after confirmation that Miguel Ángel Moyá will be out of action for two months after surgery to correct a problem in his right knee.
Bernabé and Werner
Neither Diego Simeone nor the board want to play catch-up in such an important position and will take their time to consider their options, but with only one senior keeper in Jan Oblak, a move in the market cannot be ruled out. Atlético’s current third keeper, Bernabé Barragán, has rarely appeared for the first team although he has acquitted himself well when he has. Atlético are also trying to bring on-loan Argentinean stopper Alex Werner back to the club, although there are doubts about his ability to make the step up to top-flight European football immediately.
Simeone will have to decide whether to place his faith in Bernabé or dip into the loan market. Moyá should be back in action in a couple of months and that being the case, Atlético are keen to avoid having too many keepers on the books. Furthermore, it won’t be easy to find one who will be willing to play third fiddle behind Oblak and Moyá when the latter returns to fitness.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win