ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
Atlético agree to loan young keeper Werner to Boca Juniors
The promising young Argentine goalkeeper will continue gaining experience in Buenos Aires although Boca will not have the option to buy him after the loan ends.
Pending the official word from the club, Axel Werner will spend the next 12 months with Boca Juniors. The promising young Argentine goalkeeper, who is only 20, is guaranteed to get more playing time in Buenos Aires than he would at Atlético - even while second choice keeper Miguel Ángel Moyà is out recovering from knee surgery.
Neither Atleti nor Boca have confirmed the loan but a number of media outlets in Argentina report that Werner has already passed a medical and all that remains is for the player to sign the contract - one which does not include a purchase option clause which would allow Boca the chance to buy him once the loan spell is over.
Atlético confirmed the signing of Werner at the end of July, fending off competition from Manchester City to sign the keeper from Atlético de Rafaela for 800,000 euros.
His excellent performances earned him a call-up with Argentina's Olympic squad were he was understudy to Real Sociedad's Gero Rulli in the team's three group stage games.
Despite his tender age, the keeper has received endless praise - the most recent from Club Olimpia's Argentine coach Nery Pumpido, who told Radio La Red, "Werner is the most promising Argentine goalkeeper at this point in time".
Te recomendamos en English
- AFFORDABLE CARE ACT Supreme Court votes to uphold the Affordable Care Act: how does this affect me?
- AMERICAN FAMILY PLAN What is a "death tax" and what's Biden proposal?
- NBA Bucks vs Nets Game 7 live online score: NBA Playoff stats, highlights, updates...
- FATHER'S DAY 2021 Why is Father’s Day celebrated in June?
- EURO 2020 Euro 2020: Spain's options of making the Last 16
- USMNT Barcelona: agreement with Olympique Marseille for Konrad de la Fuente