ATLÉTICO DE MADRID
Atlético agree to loan young keeper Werner to Boca Juniors
The promising young Argentine goalkeeper will continue gaining experience in Buenos Aires although Boca will not have the option to buy him after the loan ends.
Pending the official word from the club, Axel Werner will spend the next 12 months with Boca Juniors. The promising young Argentine goalkeeper, who is only 20, is guaranteed to get more playing time in Buenos Aires than he would at Atlético - even while second choice keeper Miguel Ángel Moyà is out recovering from knee surgery.
Neither Atleti nor Boca have confirmed the loan but a number of media outlets in Argentina report that Werner has already passed a medical and all that remains is for the player to sign the contract - one which does not include a purchase option clause which would allow Boca the chance to buy him once the loan spell is over.
Atlético confirmed the signing of Werner at the end of July, fending off competition from Manchester City to sign the keeper from Atlético de Rafaela for 800,000 euros.
His excellent performances earned him a call-up with Argentina's Olympic squad were he was understudy to Real Sociedad's Gero Rulli in the team's three group stage games.
Despite his tender age, the keeper has received endless praise - the most recent from Club Olimpia's Argentine coach Nery Pumpido, who told Radio La Red, "Werner is the most promising Argentine goalkeeper at this point in time".
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro and Valverde form the ideal midfield partnership
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey draw: 2019/20 first-round pairings revealed
- ENGLAND England: Southgate believes Sterling tweet brought closure to Gomez incident
- BARCELONA Rakitic: Barcelona turn down Premier League offer
- Serie A Manchester United: Koulibaly not planning on Napoli departure
- Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal