CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFF
Champions League: Silva leaves Villarreal hopes in balance
Bernardo Silva's winner consigned the LaLiga outfit to a 2-1 first-leg home loss to Monaco in the teams' Champions League play-off tie.
Bernardo Silva gave Monaco a 2-1 first-leg win over Villarreal in Spain as the Principality outfit took control of the sides' Champions League play-off clash on Wednesday.
Monaco take early lead
In coach Fran Escribá's first competitive game in charge of the Submarino Amarillo following Marcelino García Toral's surprise departure, the hosts got off to a terrible start as Brazilian full-back Fabinho put Monaco ahead with a third-minute penalty.
Pato levels before Silva strikes
Debutant Alexandre Pato equalised with a close-range header nine minutes ahead of half-time, but Silva restored the visitors' advantage at El Madrigal with just under 20 minutes to go.
The Portuguese forward ran at the defence before firing a left-footed strike in across Sergio Asenjo - leaving Villarreal with an uphill battle to make the group phase of Europe's premier club competition.
Mendy sees red for Monaco
Leonardo Jardim's away side, looking to bounce back from losing at this stage to Valencia a year ago, closed out the win despite having Benjamin Mendy sent off late on.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona feel cheated by Neymar
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Negotiations taking place over moving Champions League final to the UK
- Coronavirus Why do vaccines make you feel ill?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket: where it fell, in what country and what happened to remains of the Long March 5B
- LATEST NEWS Times Square shooting: what happened and who was shot?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket Long March 5B: why was it out of control and falling?