CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY-OFF
Champions League: Silva leaves Villarreal hopes in balance
Bernardo Silva's winner consigned the LaLiga outfit to a 2-1 first-leg home loss to Monaco in the teams' Champions League play-off tie.
Bernardo Silva gave Monaco a 2-1 first-leg win over Villarreal in Spain as the Principality outfit took control of the sides' Champions League play-off clash on Wednesday.
Monaco take early lead
In coach Fran Escribá's first competitive game in charge of the Submarino Amarillo following Marcelino García Toral's surprise departure, the hosts got off to a terrible start as Brazilian full-back Fabinho put Monaco ahead with a third-minute penalty.
Pato levels before Silva strikes
Debutant Alexandre Pato equalised with a close-range header nine minutes ahead of half-time, but Silva restored the visitors' advantage at El Madrigal with just under 20 minutes to go.
The Portuguese forward ran at the defence before firing a left-footed strike in across Sergio Asenjo - leaving Villarreal with an uphill battle to make the group phase of Europe's premier club competition.
Mendy sees red for Monaco
Leonardo Jardim's away side, looking to bounce back from losing at this stage to Valencia a year ago, closed out the win despite having Benjamin Mendy sent off late on.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?