Mensah: Atlético loan Ghanaian back to Vitoria Guimaraes
Signed in 2015 from the Portuguese club, the 21-year-old midfielder spent last season on loan at Madrid outfit Getafe.
Atlético Madrid have loaned midfielder Bernard Mensah back to former club Vitoria Guimaraes for the 2016/17 campaign, the Spanish capital side have confirmed.
Unsuccessful loan spell at Getafe
The 21-year-old Ghanaian, signed from Guimaraes in summer 2015, spent last season at Getafe but struggled to make an impact at the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez, registering just 10 appearances and failing to earn a single LaLiga start.
Back at Guimaraes to get first-team football
Mensah participated in the Atlético first team's pre-season preparations, but with stiff competition for places in Diego Simeone's midfield Los Rojiblancos have opted to send him to the Portuguese outfit to gain experience and game time.
In a statement released on Thursday, Atlético said: "Now, he will seek to continue with minutes that will allow him to continue with his projection in a stage in which we wish him good luck and much success."
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL FIFA announce appointment of Wenger in new role
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Saúl: "I always speak to Bale in Spanish, he's a really nice guy"
- BUNDESLIGA Bundesliga leaders Borussia Mönchengladbach sign NYCFC teenager Joe Scally
- MLS David Beckham's Inter Miami to play LA Galaxy in MLS home opener
- Euro 2020 Portugal boss Santos fumes at repeated Cristiano questions
- BELGIUM Courtois: "I'm criticised because I'm one of the best in the world"