Mariano: Zidane rules out loan departure
The striker had been linked with a temporary move this term, but Real Madrid's coach said: "He’ll stay with us and fight to get playing time."
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has confirmed that striker Mariano Díaz will remain at the Santiago Bernabéu club this season as part of the first-team squad.
Zidane rules out loan switch
The 23-year-old, who scored 27 times for Madrid's 'B' team during the 2015/16 campaign, had been strongly linked with a loan move, with LaLiga new boys Leganés heading the queue for his services.
But after impressing for the seniors in pre-season - and with fellow centre-forward Karim Benzema currently struggling with injury - Zidane said on Saturday that Mariano is going nowhere, and has been included in Los Blancos' weekend trip to San Sebastián for their league opener against Real Sociedad.
"He'll stay with us"
"He’ll travel to San Sebastian," revealed Zidane in his pre-match press conference ahead of the clash with La Real. "He’ll stay with us and fight to get playing time."
Given the presence of Benzema and Álvaro Morata in the Champions League holders' striking department, Zidane added that the Dominican Republic cap is aware of the stiff competition he faces.
"He's young and he knows who he has ahead of him," Zidane explained.
How and where to watch Real Sociedad - Real Madrid
Real Madrid take on Real Sociedad on Sunday at 20:15 CEST. Information on how and where to watch the game is here.
Te recomendamos en English
- NETFLIX What's coming to Netflix in December 2020 and what's leaving: movies, tv series...
- BOXING When was the Mike Tyson last fight and what was the result?
- Coronavirus When is the coronavirus vaccine arriving in the US according to Trump?
- GAMING Where to buy the Xbox Series X|S on Black Friday: restock times & deals at GameStop, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- BOXING Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr: dates, fight card, PPV price, TV and how to watch online
- Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid Carvajal hands Zidane a fresh problem for Atletico derby