Biles: four-gold gymnast to carry US flag at Rio closing ceremony
Simone Biles has been rewarded for her five-medal haul at her maiden Games by becoming only the second American gymnast to be handed the honour.
Gymnast Simone Biles, winner of four gold medals in her first Olympic Games in Rio, will carry the US flag at the closing ceremony on Sunday, the US Olympic Committee said Saturday.
Biles was chosen by a vote of fellow Team USA members and is just the second gymnast to be named flag bearer for the US, after Alfred Jochim in the opening ceremony in 1936.
Biles won team and individual gold medals in the women's all-around, vault and floor exercise, also adding a fifth medal - bronze - on balance beam.
The 19-year-old is the first American gymnast to win four golds at a single Games.
She is one of only four women to accomplish the feat in Olympic history, joining Larissa Latynina (1956), Vera Caslavska (1968) and Ekaterina Szabo (1984).
Te recomendamos en English
- Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid Mount on Chelsea win over Real Madrid: We should've had five!
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the fourth stimulus check be approved? Can it still happen in May?
- BOXING What is Logan Paul's boxing record?
- BOXING What is Floyd Mayweather's boxing record?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES US supports waiving vaccine patents: what does it mean and how will it affect the pandemic?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: when will the monthly payments begin?