Biles: four-gold gymnast to carry US flag at Rio closing ceremony
Simone Biles has been rewarded for her five-medal haul at her maiden Games by becoming only the second American gymnast to be handed the honour.
Gymnast Simone Biles, winner of four gold medals in her first Olympic Games in Rio, will carry the US flag at the closing ceremony on Sunday, the US Olympic Committee said Saturday.
Biles was chosen by a vote of fellow Team USA members and is just the second gymnast to be named flag bearer for the US, after Alfred Jochim in the opening ceremony in 1936.
Biles won team and individual gold medals in the women's all-around, vault and floor exercise, also adding a fifth medal - bronze - on balance beam.
The 19-year-old is the first American gymnast to win four golds at a single Games.
She is one of only four women to accomplish the feat in Olympic history, joining Larissa Latynina (1956), Vera Caslavska (1968) and Ekaterina Szabo (1984).
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?