Ref stops play after fans hurl racist abuse at Iñaki Williams
Clos Gómez stopped the game on minute 22 when "onomatopoeic sounds imitating those made by a monkey could be heard from one of the stands, aimed at Williams".
The 2016/17 LaLiga campaign is less than a day old but already, we have seen some ugly scenes. At El Molinón, in this afternoon's meeting between Sporting and Athletic Club, played was stopped while the referee dealt with racist chants coming from one section of the crowd. On minute 22, Carlos Clos Gómez called a halt to the game for the best part of a minute. In his post-match report, he stated: "Racist Insults : On 22 minutes I stopped the game for one minute as a result of the sounds imitating the onomatopoeic call of a momney coming from one end of the ground and aimed directly at player No.11 Don Iñaki Williams Arthur. Said event was communicated to the pitch delegate for appropriate instructions to be relayed over the stadium PA system. Once the public had been addressed, play was resumed and no further incidents of such kind occurred".
It is worth noting that under such circumstances, the referee has the authority to suspend the game; in this case, Sporting could find themselves fined and have a partial stadium ban imposed.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liverpool Klopp: Mbappe, Haaland will think twice if Liverpool can't offer Champions League football
- CSL Chinese Super League counts the cost of the boom years
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid, Liverpool and Juve keen on Lyon's Houssem Aouar
- NBA NBA All-Star weekend: who were the Hall of Famers in 2020?
- CORONAVIRUS Biden criticises “Neanderthal” decision to remove mask mandates
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla: result, summary and goals