Liga: week one goal tally matches 20-year-old record
The 20 teams in Primera banged in 40 goals between them, matching the total from 1996-97 when the top flight contained 22 clubs.
The first round of action in Primera División witnessed 40 goals spread out among the 20 teams, with only Real Sociedad and Celta Vigo failing to find the net in week one. Barcelona and Sevilla both managed six each, while the latter match treated spectators in the Sánchez Pizjuán to 10 in total with Espanyol also hitting four.
Highest since 1996-97
The deluge of goals was the highest total in a single Liga week since 1996-97, which also opened with a 40-goal haul. However, the league then contained 22 teams. Tenerife also bagged six on that occasion, with Oviedo and Barcelona sharing six between them (2-4).
59 goals in a wekeend in 1950-51
Last season’s opening day saw a miserly 12 goals go in and even adding the strikes that found the net in the previous season’s curtain-raiser the the total is still eight short of this weekend’s bounty. The historic Liga record for a single round of matches is considerably higher though, with 59 being banged in in the second week of action in the 1950-51 season.
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Ubisoft Forward E3 2021 conference live updates: games, announcements, trailers
- E3 2021 E3 2021 schedule: dates, times, conferences, livestreams and showcases by day
- US News Which European countries accept vaccinated travelers from the US?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit: how do I know if should have received the IRS letter?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in Euro 2021? Saturday 12 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- ROLAND GARROS How many times has Nadal lost a match at Roland Garros?