Guardiola: "Kun can't shine if he disappears off the ball"
"It's not enough to receive the ball from his team mates, he has to help us in the first pressure and run a lot and help us a lot with movement."
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has urged striker Sergio Agüero to help his side maintain pressure on opponents and not "disappear" when his side do not have possession of the ball.
The Argentine scored twice in City's 4-1 win against Stoke City on Saturday to take his season's tally to six goals in all competitions.
"Not enough to receive the ball"
The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich manager said Agüero must help his team mates with his movements off the ball. "It's not enough to receive the ball from his team mates, he has to help us in the first pressure and run a lot and help us a lot with movement," Guardiola told British media.
"You cannot be brilliant when you disappear when you [don't] have the ball. It's impossible. Until now he's doing it and, when that happens, you are involved in defensive tasks and the offensive."
Guardiola also praised young striker Kelechi Iheanacho, who came off the bench and proved influential in City's third and fourth goals against Stoke.
"He is always ready," Guardiola added. "We will need him. Sergio can't play all season and Kelli is going to play. We can't achieve anything with just 11 or 12 players. We need everybody and I hope they realise that."
City next face Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of their Champions League playoff on Wednesday, before hosting West Ham United in their next league clash on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- Square Enix's E3 2021 conference live updates: games, announcements, trailers
- E3 2021 Microsoft's Xbox and Bethesda conference at E3 2021 recap: games, announcements, trailers
- Euro 2020 Denmark team doctor: Eriksen was 'gone' after suffering cardiac arrest
- E3 2021 After missing E3 2021, will Sony (PlayStation) have a State of Play in the summer? When?
- EURO 2020 | GROUP F France vs Germany: Mbappé explains Giroud annoyance
- EURO 2020 France vs Germany: Benzema and Griezmann get green light