In an interview with The Guardian, Atlético Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann has revealed his desire to one day be considered in the same league as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The Frenchman, who’s star has risen considerably over the last year, may not have long to wait to see such a thing happen, either.
After an outstanding season with club and country (Atlético narrowly missed out on the Champions League, while France made it to the final of Euro 2016, where Griezmann was voted the tournament’s best player), some are already tipping the forward to challenge for the Balon d’Or in January. Meanwhile, Griezmann goes head-to-head with Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale for the UEFA Best Player in Europe award on Thursday (Messi didn’t even make the top three nominees).
"My objective is to be among the best.”
“I want to eat at their table,” Griezmann told the UK paper. “I want to get as close as possible to their level and win titles. My objective is to be among the best.”
The Atléti star also talked about the agony of France’s Euro 2016 final loss to Portugal, but also how he was determined to show his strength of character following the game.
“I was very sad but I did not cry,” he said “I told myself, I must be determined and encourage the guys and comfort them. I wanted to show everyone my character, that I can be a leader of the team.”
Despite losing both the Champions League and Euro finals in the space of a month, Griezmann remains sure the possibility to win a major trophy will present itself again in the future.
“I will keep working to play in a final and win"
“I will keep working to play in a final and win. In fact, I am more determined to win. [Atlético] is a club that can bring titles. I really have no desire to go to another club. I want to win titles with Atlético. It’s not a personal mission to win La Liga but I want it very badly. We have strong desire to win both La Liga and the Champions League and I am going to give my all to help my team to succeed. This season I hope we will be better than ever.”
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Why weren’t the funds from the $3000/$3600 child tax credit sent with the stimulus check payments?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Golden State Stimulus: How to claim the extra $500 under the California Comeback Plan
- Boxing Boxing legend Mike Tyson believes that Floyd Mayweather is going to win against Logan Paul
- Coronavirus Pfizer Vaccine Approval: When and where can children 12-15 get vaccinated?
- CORONAVIRUS US How to score the Clear Health Pass covid-19 vaccine passport?
- CORONAVIRUS US Covid-19 vaccine for tourists in New York: how much and where can people get it?