Wenger '99 percent confident' on Arsenal deals
The Arsenal manager confirmed the club were close to completing transfers on Friday, amid reports they are poised to sign centre-back Shkodran Mustafi and striker Lucas Perez.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed the club were close to completing transfers on Friday, amid reports they are poised to sign Germany centre-back Shkodran Mustafi and Spanish striker Lucas Pérez.
British press reports claim Mustafi, 24, will sign from Valencia for around 40.9 million euros, with Pérez, 27, set to cost around 20 million euros from Deportivo La Coruna.
Both players will reportedly undergo medical examinations on Friday.
'We are working on the deals,' Wenger said. 'We are not close enough to announce today that they will sign for us. Will we sign anybody before the end of the transfer window? I am 99 percent confident.'
Should both players complete their transfers, Arsenal's spending for the close season will be close to 110 million euros.
They have already signed Swiss international Granit Xhaka from Borussia Moenchengladbach and young pair Rob Holding and Takuma Asano.
Wenger has come under pressure from the club's fans to bring in new players, with supporters chanting 'Spend some money!' during last weekend's 0-0 draw at Leicester City.
But Wenger said he would not be influenced by the fans' demands.
'I'm happy when our supporters are happy, but my job is to make the right decisions,' the Frenchman told reporters at Arsenal's London Colney training centre.
'If that is exactly similar to the contract of the players and that maintains the supporters being happy, that is even better. I focus first on making the right decisions for the club.'
Te recomendamos en English
- European Super League Juventus still keen on breakaway league as AC Milan withdraw
- BARCELONA Aguero places Messi clause on Barcelona move
- European Super League Atletico squad release European Super League statement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The dramatic rise and swift fall of Europe's Super League
- Murder of George Floyd What did Biden say about Chauvin's guilty verdict for murder of George Floyd
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check: will it be approved and sent in May?