Wenger '99 percent confident' on Arsenal deals
The Arsenal manager confirmed the club were close to completing transfers on Friday, amid reports they are poised to sign centre-back Shkodran Mustafi and striker Lucas Perez.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger confirmed the club were close to completing transfers on Friday, amid reports they are poised to sign Germany centre-back Shkodran Mustafi and Spanish striker Lucas Pérez.
British press reports claim Mustafi, 24, will sign from Valencia for around 40.9 million euros, with Pérez, 27, set to cost around 20 million euros from Deportivo La Coruna.
Both players will reportedly undergo medical examinations on Friday.
'We are working on the deals,' Wenger said. 'We are not close enough to announce today that they will sign for us. Will we sign anybody before the end of the transfer window? I am 99 percent confident.'
Should both players complete their transfers, Arsenal's spending for the close season will be close to 110 million euros.
They have already signed Swiss international Granit Xhaka from Borussia Moenchengladbach and young pair Rob Holding and Takuma Asano.
Wenger has come under pressure from the club's fans to bring in new players, with supporters chanting 'Spend some money!' during last weekend's 0-0 draw at Leicester City.
But Wenger said he would not be influenced by the fans' demands.
'I'm happy when our supporters are happy, but my job is to make the right decisions,' the Frenchman told reporters at Arsenal's London Colney training centre.
'If that is exactly similar to the contract of the players and that maintains the supporters being happy, that is even better. I focus first on making the right decisions for the club.'
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Phil Neville is one step closer to becoming new Inter Miami head coach
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks New stimulus check: will be there a third round of payments?
- LIGA MX Former Houston Astros general manager looking to buy a Liga MX club
- US NEWS What have Republicans said about the new American Rescue Plan?
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live
- NFL PLAYOFFS Johnson shines for Bills as defence gets praise