Nano signs off from Tenerife in tears to join Eibar
The striker, who hit 14 goals in 45 games for the islanders, broke down as he gave his farewell press conference.
Alexander Mesa Travieso or 'Nano' as he is known, signed off from Tenerife today with tears rolling down each cheek. The 21-year-old centre-forward will be taking a step up in his career, leaving second division football to test himself in the top flight with Eibar, who have agreed a 3.2 million euro fee for the player, who scored 14 goals in 45 games for the islanders last term.
This afternoon, and with his family present for support, he couldn't hold back the tears as he said an emotional goodbye: "I told the club that I wanted to leave so that I could improve my game, knowing that they wanted to offer me a new contract", Nano said, "I didn't want to let this opportunity pass me by, to thank this club for everything they have done for me. I am happy - and sad, to be leaving but I have always wanted to take a step forward in my progression as a player. Even though I am leaving, I will always carry this club badge in my heart. My team mates understand; they'll support me wherever I am. I told them how bad I felt about leaving the team in a moment like this".
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?