Leganés 0 - 0 Atletico Madrid
Atleti frustrated by Leganés in goalless draw
Antoine Griezmann's return to the side wasn't enough to lift Diego Simeone's side to a win. Leganés continue their dream start to the season and provisionally sit in third place.
Atletico Madrid were held to a goalless draw at newly-promoted Leganés and already trail city rivals Real Madrid by four points with champions Barcelona still to play on Sunday away at Athletic Bilbao.
The return of prolific striker Antoine Griezmann wasn’t enough to help Atleti break down a resilient Leganés side who, after winning away at Celta last week, go to bed third in the provisional league standings.
Leganés keeper Jon Ander Serantes was the hero on the night and kept out efforts from Griezmann, Kevin Gameiro and Yannick Carrasco in an inspired display. A late push in which Fernando Torres had a penalty shout turned down and a header saved in the 91st minute wasn’t enough for Atleti on what turned out to be a highly frustrating night for Simeone’s side.
“We have to get our act together because if we keep going like this we'll be fighting to avoid relegation,” said an unhappy Griezmann after the final whistle. He also admitted that he didn’t feel entirely match fit: “I’m not quite up to speed,” he said.
Atletico have made a disappointing start to the new season, drawing both games against newly-promoted sides. It’s the first time that they’ve failed to win their first two games since Diego Simeone took charge back in 2011.
Te recomendamos en English
- Spain Luis Enrique return handled perfectly, explains Rubiales
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City post record revenue according to report
- Tottenham Mauricio Pochettino leaves Tottenham Hotspur
- GIMNASIA LP Diego Maradona no longer manager at Gimnasia LP
- SERIE A Kluivert: De Ligt regrets picking Juventus over Barcelona
- REAL MADRID Skriniar's agent: "I can see him going to Real Madrid"