Barcelona came away from San Mamés with three points tonight after a tough and frenetic encounter with Athletic Bilbao. Luis Enrique was delighted with the win.
“We were up against an excellent team and we could have closed out the game sooner. It’s very difficult to play here and we’re going home happy. We deserve a lot of credit for these three points,” he said.
“I would have liked to have controlled the game more, but we found space well,” he added. “It was played at a frenetic pace. We made errors early on and they created chances so the second half was very open but the result will strengthen us going forward.”
He also praised the attitude of his squad: “It’s just like it was at the end of last season. They all want to play and we still have players to come back. We have a great squad that’s really keen to compete.”
The fastest coach to reach 100 club wins with a single club
Barça’s win in Bilbao, the club’s second win in two league games, meant that Luis Enrique becomes the fastest manager to win 100 games with the same club, a record among Spanish clubs. The Asturian has taken just 126 games to rack up 100 wins since taking over in 2014 (100 wins, 13 draws and 13 defeats). In doing so he overtook Jose Mourinho who sits in second having taken 133 games to reach the same landmark, and Pep Guardiola in third (139 games).
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Gareth Bale arrives in London ahead of sealing Spurs move
- REAL MADRID Mayoral ahead of Jovic in Real Madrid pecking order
- Portugal Bruno Fernandes: I can boost Cristiano Ronaldo's record bid
- Arteta: Aubameyang stayed because Arsenal is an 'incredible club' as big as Barcelona & Inter
- Liverpool Thiago: “When you win, you want to win more”
- Coronavirus Flu shot: who should get it and when?