Lionel Messi will travel to Argentina for international duty this evening despite undergoing precautionary medical tests with club doctors in Barcelona this morning. He ended Sunday night’s hard-fought win over Athletic Bilbao with discomfort in his leg and was at one point during the game seen to stop and reach down to his leg in pain.
A statement released by the club this afternoon confirmed that Messi did discuss his condition with medical staff before travelling: “The tests conducted this morning confirmed that Leo Messi has a mild strain in his left abductor muscle. The medical report has been shared with the Argentinian FA. The player will join up with the squad and his participation in the scheduled matches will depend on how the strain develops.”
Argentina have two important 2018 World Cup qualifiers coming up this week. The Albiceleste will first face Uruguay on Thursday night before matching up against Venezuela the following Tuesday. The expectation is that Messi will be fully fit to play, though his involvement is no longer a guarantee.
Te recomendamos en English
- QATAR 2022 Russian players cleared to compete at World Cup as neutral team
- Champions League Zidane omits Sergio Ramos and Kroos from Brugge squad
- Premier League Three second half goals in 9 minutes enough for Arsenal
- Club World Cup Liverpool eye CWC glory as Flamengo threaten to spoil party
- Premier League Marcelino and Emery in pole position for Premier League posts
- REAL MADRID Madrid hoping to end Lunin and Sanchez loan deals in January