The season hasn’t started well for Atlético Madrid. Despite having only played two games of La Liga so far, after two draws against two newly promoted teams, alarms bells are ringing at Vicente Calderón.
Following the 0-0 at Leganés on Sunday, star striker Antoine Griezmann said in his post-match TV interview: “If we continue like this, we’ll be fighting against relegation…We have to wake up and be ourselves because things are getting out of hand”.
Saúl: "You can't say that...We have values"
However, in a separate interview with Spanish television programme Deportes Cuatro on Tuesday, Atlético teammate Saúl Ñinguez made it clear that he didn’t agree with Griezmann’s comments, saying: “He should think about what he says.”
Saúl explained further why he thought the French forward’s words were uncalled for. “You have to think where you are and what team you represent,” said the Atléti midfielder. “You don’t need to go down that path. It’s true that at the end of the game that the exhaustion and the heat all comes together, but you can’t say that. We have values.”
On the subject of Atlético’s poor start to the new campaign, Saúl himself admitted that “we all have work to do” and that the players will “work, work, work” to change the situation around.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham Hotspur What José Mourinho brings to Tottenham Hotspur
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho in 2015: 'I could never manage Tottenham'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Spurs: Kane thanks Pochettino for making "dreams" come true
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid not happy with Bale's 'bad joke' with Wales flag
- REAL MADRID Zidane to deal with hot button issue of Bale on Thursday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho's best fall-outs: From 'Demenza senile' to eye-pokes