Five of the biggest transfer deadline day deals
Over the years, transfer deadline day has seen clubs close extravagant deals for big stars at the very last minute
Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2002)
The summer soap opera of 2002 finally saw Ronaldo sign for Real Madrid. The back and forth between the club and Inter Milan lasted the whole month of August, however a deal was finally sealed with only one hour left before the Champions League player registration deadline.
Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid, 2005)
The current captain of Los Blancos arrived at the Bernabéu after Real Madrid paid his €27m buyout clause at Sevilla. Initially, the Sevilla directors didn’t want to make a deal and Madrid didn’t want launch a hostile operation. However, in the end the club made contact with Sevilla to inform them of their decision to play the clause – doing so that night from LaLiga headquarters.
Rooney (Manchester United, 2004)
These days it seems like an ordinary fee (it’s the same United paid this summer for Bailly), but the €40m that United coughed up for Rooney back on transfer deadline day in 2004 made him the 12th most expensive signing in history and the third biggest in the Premier League. Now the transfer doesn’t even feature in the top 50 in the world…
Özil (Arsenal, 2013)
The sale of the German midfielder angered Cristiano Ronaldo. “It’s bad news for me,” he said at the time. “He was the player who knew my movements the best.” €45m is what Real Madrid let him go to Arsenal for.
Robinho (Manchester City, 2008)
Another Real Madrid sale. In three seasons at the club, Robinho didn’t fulfill the magnificent potential he showed on his debut in Cádiz and he ended up asking to leave. Chelsea wanted the Brazilian, but Man City’s €40m bid convinced Real Madrid. Robinho was the protagonist in another last minute transfer in 2010, when City sold him to Milan for a €2m profit.
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Iván Zamorano: “Raúl Jiménez is as good or even better than Karim Benzema”
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: US citizens buying more guns amid pandemic
- Coronavirus USA Coronavirus: how will stimulus checks work in the United States?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Bill Gates told Rafa Nadal Covid-19 pandemic would become "complicated"
- CORONAVIRUS | INDIA How to apply for Delhi curfew passes online?
- REAL MADRID Racing president: "Lautaro turned down Madrid when he was 18"