Roig cites comments ahead of Sporting game as root of Marcelino dismissal
The Villarreal president stated: "It's a question of principles at Villarreal, no-one can go against the values that this club stands for".
Villarreal president Fernando Roig, spoke about the motives surrounding the dismissal in early August of longstanding coach Marcelino Garcia Toral. The president didn't mention the Asturian coach's name directly but heavily insinuated that the pre-match comments before the last game of the 2015/116 season (when Marcelino claimed he's like to see Sporting survive in the top flight a week ahead of the key Sporting-Villarreal LaLiga match) were key to the subsequent dismissal of the 51 year old.
"At this club, key decisions are made by the president, for good or bad. It was my decision to dismiss the head coach on August 11 and I took that course of action as there were things going on that I didn't like" admitted Roig today.
Roig also took the opportunity to appease the Villarreal supporters after the club failed to secure a place in the Champions League group stage and two lackluster draws in the opening games of the ne campaign: "An exciting season is in store for us and I don't share this early season nervousness. We'd all have loved to qualify for a Champions League place but it wasn't to be. I know of so many clubs who would gladly swap places with ourselves" he concluded.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS Third stimulus check: who would be eligible under Joe Biden’s proposal?
- Spanish Super Cup Leo Messi shown red card in Spanish Super Cup final against Athletic
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: will be there a new round of payments?
- LIGA MX Former Houston Astros general manager looking to buy a Liga MX club
- US NEWS What have Republicans said about the new American Rescue Plan?
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live