BELGIUM 0-2 SPAIN
Lopetegui lauds performance as Spain beat Belgium
Spain coach Julen Lopetegui also said that Álvaro Morata, who was forced off in the first half in Brussels, was substituted "as a precaution".
Spain coach Julen Lopetegui spoke of his satisfaction with his side's display after defeating Belgium in Brussels in his first match in charge of La Roja.
"A good performance"
A double from David Silva handed the Spanish a 2-0 victory at the King Baudouin Stadium on Thursday night, and Lopetegui said: "We're happier with the account the lads gave of themselves than the result. It was a good performance."
The ex-FC Porto boss, who was appointed as Vicente del Bosque's replacement in July, continued: "The players showed a real willingness to work for the team, and the effect of that was clear to see. I think they enjoyed themselves."
Morata "has a knock"
On Álvaro Morata, who limped off midway through the first half in Belgium, Lopetegui said the Real Madrid striker had been substituted "as a precaution".
"He has a knock", the 50-year-old explained. "He felt like he might have picked up a muscle problem, but fortunately he hasn't."
Liechtenstein up next
Lopetegui's first competitive fixture at the helm comes on Monday as Spain host Liechtenstein in their opening World Cup 2018 qualifier.
Te recomendamos en English
- Man City vs Real Madrid Sterling joins Man City's 100 club with opener against Real Madrid
- Champions League Napoli must 'climb Everest' to beat Barcelona - Gattuso
- Coronavirus Unemployment benefits: will there be an extra weekly payment?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: How much money could you get?
- Coronavirus India: Lockdown in Kohima to be lifted tomorrow
- Social Media What is Instagram Reels, the new TikTok competitor