"This one's for you Zidane": James goal sends reminder to Madrid
As a James-inspired Colombia defeated Venezuela on Thursday, Colombia legend Faustino Asprilla made a point of reminding Real Madrid of the midfielder's talents
Colombia defeated Venezuela 2-0 in their port city stronghold of Barranquilla on Thursday night with goals from Real Madrid star James Rodriguez and Macnelly Torres.
The goal from James – who also missed a penalty – prompted ex-Colombia striker Faustino Asprilla to take to Twitter and remind Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane of the midfielder’s talents.
“Goal by James Rodriguez, dedicated to you Zidane!”, tweeted Asprilla, who has publicly criticised the French coach during recent weeks for allegedly “lacking respect” for the player and trying to force him out of the club.
Golllllllllll de @jamesdrodriguez te lo dedicamos Zidane!— Faustino Asprilla (@TinoasprillaH) 1 September 2016
James staying at Real Madrid
“If James hasn’t been able to show his qualities it’s because the coach won’t take him into account,” Asprilla told Onda Cero.
However, towards the end of the summer transfer window, Zidane – who had said “it could be a problem” that he didn’t deem James first choice – announced that the Colombian would stay and fight for his place.
Colombia’s win, meanwhile, leaves them level with Ecuador and Uruguay on 13 points in the South America World Cup qualifying standings, just behind leaders Argentina.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Mourinho got a "special" message from Ed Woodward after landing Spurs job
- REAL MADRID Marcelo on Rodrygo, Vinicius and anxiety before Liverpool game
- PREMIER LEAGUE Pochettino's goodbye to Spurs player etched on blackboard
- REAL MADRID Eden Hazard: "At one point this summer I weighed 80 kilos"
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid fans angry over Bale's "childish" antics - Calderon
- Premier League Mourinho's call for 'respect' as he sends warning to Klopp and Pep