Marcelino to face media to respond to Rayo, Villarreal chiefs
Rayo Vallecano's Raúl Martín Presa on Saturday launched a fierce attack comparing the ex-Villarreal boss to "the crazy Germanwings pilot".
Marcelino García Toral is set to hold a press conference in Madrid to give his side of the story after being the subject of accusations over Villarreal's controversial final-day defeat to Sporting Gijón at the end of last season.
Loss in Gijón helps former club escape drop
With Gijón fighting relegation, then Villarreal boss Marcelino - who is from Sporting's home region of Asturias and has played and coached at the club - raised eyebrows with pre-match comments saying he'd like to see his former team survive.
Gijón's subsequent 2-0 win over a weakened Villarreal saw them stay up at the expense of Rayo Vallecano and Getafe, with Marcelino's wife then further fuelling suspicions by taking to social media to post: "I leave Asturias with the job done!!! We leave you in the First Division".
Roig: Sporting match led to dismissal
Marcelino was later unexpectedly sacked by Villarreal in August, club president Fernando Roig recently indicating to the media that May's events at El Molinón, which are being investigated by LaLiga, were behind the decision to dispense with his coach.
Marcelino now plans to come out early next week to respond to Roig's comments.
Rayo president: "Marcelino like Germanwings pilot"
He'll also seek to answer Rayo chief Raúl Martin Presa, who in the wake of Los Franjirrojos' relegation said Marcelino's side "didn't compete" and on Saturday launched a renewed, strongly-worded attack on the 51-year-old, telling a TV programme: "He's like the crazy Germanwings pilot who crashed the plane".
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?