Lopetegui could end Holland's interest in Asensio on Monday
Having only played for Spain in a friendly, the young Real Madrid star is still eligible to play for Holland thanks to his Dutch mother
Marco Asensio is the footballer of the moment. He’s broken into the Real Madrid first team after a wonderful preseason (jumping ahead of Isco and James in the pecking order and causing Zidane to request that he stay) while Vicente Del Bosque has called him “the best talent in Spain”.
Star of the next generation
As well as the former Spain coach, new manager of the national side Julen Lopetegui has also stood up and taken notice, naming the 21-year old in his squad at the first time of asking.
Asensio, no doubt, will be one the stars of the next generation, however his presence in the current Spain squad has taken on somewhat double significance, given that Spain want to make sure his future with La Roja is secured.
Asensio's Dutch eligibility
That is because Asensio (whose second surname is Willemsen) has a Dutch mother, meaning Holland has unsurprisingly taken an interest and tried to tempt the player to the Oranje on several occasions throughout his development. In October 2015, Dutch fans even created a Twitter campaign (#AsensioWillemsenInOranje) to try and convince him.
“There has been contact, although my idea is stay with Spain,” Asensio told AS shortly after the hashtag emerged, although admitting, “My Dutch family has asked me to go there.”
Spain future to be secured against Liechtenstein?
However, the door to that – albeit faint – possibility could be closed for good on Monday as Spain take on Liechtenstein (if Asensio takes to the field at any stage in Leon). While Asensio did make his debut on Thursday against Belgium, it was only in a friendly, meaning the player is still eligible to represent the Dutch.
Lopetegui, of course, is well aware of this fact and will want to sure up Asensio’s Spain future at the earliest possible opportunity, much to Holland's disappointment.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?