Ex-Real Madrid defender Rubén joins Delhi Dynamos
After finishing his contract at Real Zaraoza, Champions League and LaLiga title winner Rubén González has swapped Spain for the Indian Premier League
Former Real Madrid player Ruben Gonzalez has signed for the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL) as the second marquee player for the Delhi Dynamos.
Gonzalez was part of the Delhi side that lost 1-0 to West Bromwich Albion during their pre-season friendly at The Hawthorns on Saturday.
The 34-year-old will play alongside former Lyon and Chelsea star Florent Malouda for Delhi in the ISL starting on October 1.
Champions League and LaLiga winner
The Spanish international was part of the Real Madrid squad that won the Champions League in 2001-2002 before winning the La Liga in 2002-2003.
"I am really excited to join Delhi Dynamos. Having played for most of my career in Spain and Germany, I am looking forward to playing in Asia for the first time," said Gonzalez.
"I have spoken to the manager, Zambrotta, and I am in tune with his plans for the season, and I believe we can do even better than last season."
Coach Gianluca Zambrotta said Gonzalez would strengthen Delhi's defences as they look to clinch the title, after bowing out in the semis during last season's eight-team tournament.
"He will definitely be one of the leaders on and off the pitch for the club," Zambrotta said.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Euro 2020 play-offs, pots & finals draw: teams, dates, times...
- BAYERN MUNICH Pochettino-Bayern links re-intensify in Germany
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane could see James' injury coming
- BRAZIL Tite responds to criticism of Rodrygo's lack of playing time
- LALIGA Gareth Bale 'in that order' flag inspires Spanish football
- REAL MADRID José Mourinho to open Spurs escape hatch for Gareth Bale