Rooney surpasses Beckham's caps record for England
Wayne Rooney became England's most capped outfield player when he was awarded his 116th cap in Sunday's opening 2018 World Cup qualifier away to Slovakia.
Rooney overtakes Beckham for England
Wayne Rooney was poised to become England's most capped outfield player when he was included in Sam Allardyce's starting XI for Sunday's opening 2018 World Cup qualifier away to Slovakia, gaining his 116th cap.
Captain Rooney, 30, surpasses his former England team-mate David Beckham, who was capped 115 times by his country. Former goalkeeper Peter Shilton, capped 125 times, holds the overall record.
“I think it is always important and an honour to represent your country”, Rooney said on the eve of the game in Trnava. “To do it the second-most times will be great, but tomorrow is all about the team, about getting three points. I'm sure one day in the future I will look back, but for now I'm looking to the game tomorrow and nothing else”.
Rooney is also England's record goal scorer with 53 goals, having broken Bobby Charlton's longstanding record of 49 in September 2015.
As expected, the Manchester United skipper was selected in a number 10 role behind Harry Kane as England began life under Sam Allardyce.
England XI: Hart; Walker, Rose, Dier, Cahill; Stones, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Kane and Sterling.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?