Greek Super League given the go-ahead
A disagreement between the Greek FA and the League over the referee selection process had delayed the start of the new season.
Greek Super League to kick off
Greece's Super League will finally kick off this weekend after the Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) and the Super League ended their feud over referees on Monday morning.
Greece risked being suspended from international football by both FIFA and UEFA after the country’s government intervened in a long-running dispute over the selection of referees by ordering the postponement of the new season on the grounds of public safety. But after numerous discussions, former FIFA referee Kyros Vassaras was appointed as chief arbitrator on the refereeing committee until the EPO elections on the 1st October, meaning matches will now get underway.
"I hope for a great season ahead"
“The championship will start; the fans are rightly anxious because football should be played,” said EPO president Giorgos Gkirtzikos. “We have found a solution to the problems by bringing in Mr Vassaras. He is a member of UEFA and one of our own. I hope for a great season ahead for the Super League and that Greek football can continue to improve its standing.”
It isn’t the first time that Greece has risked running into trouble with FIFA. FIFA's statutes do not accept government interference of any kind in the affairs of its football federations and it had threatened to suspend Greece back in April when the government ordered the Greek Cup final to be cancelled.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Meteor Shower Perseid meteor shower August 2020: how and when to watch
- Coronavirus Trump executive order: how much will it cost the US?
- Ohter Sports Forbes: Covid-19 is massively-affecting sports in South Africa
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool close in on a deal for 'the next Neymar’ Talles Magno
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Atalanta have a responsibility not to disappoint against PSG, says Gasperini