Kerber keeps up pressure on Williams with Kvitova win
The world number two will pinch Serena's top ranking if she reaches the final and the world number one does anything less than win the US Open title.
Angelique Kerber reached the US Open quarter-finals on Sunday which left Serena Williams needing to reach the final to have a chance of retaining the world number one spot.
Kerber defeated Petra Kvitova 6-3, 7-5 to pile the pressure back on to the American who is looking to break Steffi Graf's record of 186 weeks as the world number one.
If Kerber reaches the final, then Williams must win the title top stay on top of the pile.
"When I was a kid, of course I was dreaming of winning Slams and being one day number one, and now it can happen," said Kerber. "But I'm trying to not put pressure on myself, because I know I have to win a few more matches to reach the No. 1. When it happens it will be an amazing feeling, because that was also one of my dreams when I was a kid."
Kerber will face Italy's Roberta Vinci for a spot in the semi-finals.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Inter Miami will allow fans to attend match against Orlando City
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Latest News USA When does daylight saving time end in the USA and when do the clocks go back?
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why is McConnell advising against the deal?
- Football Raja Casablanca petition CAF to postpone Zamalek match