REAL MADRID - OSASUNA
Zidane equals Miguel Muñoz's record after Osasuna win
Zinedine Zidane now has 15 wins on the bounce in the league equalling that of Miguel Muñoz set in the 1960-61 season. Next up, away to Espanyol.
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane needed just one more win to equal the club record for most consecutive wins in the league. Ahead of the home match against Osasuna, the Frenchman had 14 consecutive wins to his name in LaLiga, and was just one victory away from equalling the 15 attained by Miguel Muñoz’s side in the 1960-61 season with legends like Di Stéfano, Puskas, Gento and the like. Moreover, if Madrid were to beat Osasuna on Saturday afternoon and then go on to beat Espanyol the following weekend they would equal the all-time league record belonging to Guardiola’s Barcelona (16 wins in a row in the 2010-11 season). Half the job has been completed after the dismantling of the Pamplona side.
You now have to go back 197 days to find Los Blancos’ last league defeat; since Zidane’s side came up short against Atlético on 27 February this year, they haven’t lost a single game. Their victories include a 4-0 thrashing of Sevilla, a 3-0 win over Villareal, a tight 3-2 home win against Valencia and a 1-2 victory at the Camp Nou.
Sign of the times
In recent times, only Mourinho can match a similar league run. In the 2011-12 season, the Portuguese coach ran away with the league with 100 points – the only league title for Madrid in the last ten years. Ancelotti, managed 12 straight wins in the 2014-15 campaign, but his side finished second on 92 points. Pellegrini also steered his side to 12 on the bounce, in 2009-10, and also finished second that year.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: deaths and cases - UK, Australia, Canada, Spain... news today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Ghana... cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Donald Trump is caught playing golf Amid Covid-19 outbreak
- LALIGA Tebas: "We hope Liga will return on 11 June with Sevilla-Betis"
- FOOTBALL Van Persie reveals Van Gaal gave him a slap at 2014 World Cup
- Coronavirus Floyd Mayweather hits up a night club amid Covid-19 outbreak