Pro-indepence flags to be handed out outside the Camp Nou
Pro Catalan independence group are to hand out 30,000 pro-independence Estelada flags. Barcelona have been fined repeatedly by Uefa for their display.
30,000 pro-independence flags at Barcelona - Celtic
Pro Catalan independence groups will hand out 30,000 pro-independence 'Estelada' flags before Tuesday night's Champions League game against Celtic, to be played at the Camp Nou in Barcelona (kick off 20:45).
Barcelona fined for previous Estelada displays
The organisers argue they are defending freedom of expression, after Uefa fined Barcelona 30,000 euros because Barça fans waved the Estelada flags at the final of the Champions League in Berlin in 2015.
Uefa argue that the flags are a political statement and have no place inside a football ground.
Barcelona and Uefa in discussions
While Barcelona and Uefa have discussed the issue, with the Catalan club pleading for an end to the punishments, last season Estelada flags were waved by supporters during Champions League matches and Barcelona were once again fined, this time 15,000 euros. That punishment is being appealed by Catalan independence group Drets.
Volunteers to hand out flags outside Camp Nou
The flags will be handed out by volunteers outside the Camp Nou to fans attending the Barcelona - Celtic game.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?