Atlético Madrid beat PSV 1-0 through a Saúl goal
Atlético midfielder Saúl scored the only goal of the Champions League match against PSV to give Simeone's side the win.
Atlético take all three points against PSV
Atlético Madrid opened their Champions League account for the new season with a win away to PSV, beating the Dutch outfit in a tough match 1-0 through a Saúl goal. The hosts were well up for the fight, but failed to take advantage of the opportunities they created.
Saúl grabs Atlético's winner
Saúl though was in the right place at the right time and executed to perfection in the 43rd minute for Atleti, slotting a bouncing ball through a muddle of players in the box and beyond the PSV keeper.
Oblak saves penalty
Straight after Atleti's goal PSV were awarded a non-existent penalty, when Narsingh fell over his own feet in the box, with Giménez close by, but making no contact. Guardado stepped up to level the match, but Oblak was equal to the spot-kick and saved well.
Atleti hold on for victory
Atlético will be highly pleased to manage to come away with a victory from the Philips Stadium, particularly given that Tiago, who came on for Gaitán in the second part, injured himself near the end of the game, leaving Atleti at a severe disadvantage up to the final whistle.
Don't mention it to Simeone, but Atleti have taken their first step on the road to Cardiff.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Ajax reach initial agreement for Sergiño Dest: 20 million plus 5 in add-ons
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits in California: for how long will they stop and when can I claim again?
- US NEWS | CORONAVIRUS Second Stimulus Check: will there be a new payment in September 2020?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea closing in on Mendy as Lampard confirms medical
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what did Mnuchin say in Congress testimony?