Ice hockey referee dies after being hit in the head by puck
Pavel Lainka was refereeing the game between Brno and Sumperk when he was struck by the ice hockey puck. He later died in hospital.
Ice hockey referee Pavel Lainka died on Saturday after being hit by a puck in the head during a Czech league match.
The incident happened in a youth game between Brno and Sumperk. After being struck by the puck, Lainka fell unconscious to the ice.
The referee was immediately transferred to a local hospital where he was unable to be revived and passed away due to the severity of the head injury.
Minute silence this weekend
The Czech Ice Hockey Federation said there will be a minute of silence at each game played in the nation this week in its top two leagues.
“He was exceptionally active and successful and also one of the first absolvents of the referee of collective sports major at the Masaryk University in Brno,” said Vladimir Sindler, chairman of the Czech Ice Hockey Association’s officiating committee.
“Many remember Pavel not just from the ice rink and seminars, but also as a friend, who was always happy and smiling and was an amazing teammate.”
Te recomendamos en English
- SEVILLA VS REAL MADRID LaLiga: Real Madrid team news, possible starting line-up vs Sevilla
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid on track to finish 5th this season in LaLiga
- Rumour Has It: PSG still considering Messi signing
- LIGUE 1 PSG still considering Messi signing
- GAMING PS5 restock updates US: Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Costco, Kohls, GameStop, Target...
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how could a new stimulus affect unemployment benefits?