Real Madrid equal Barcelona's Liga consecutive win record
Real Madrid's 0-2 over Espanyol gave the side their 16th consecutive Liga win, levelling the record set in 2010/11 by Pep Guardiola's Barcelona side.
Zidane's Real Madrid equal Barcelona's record
Real Madrid's win over Espanyol (0-2 at Cornellà) means Zidane's side equalled the record set by Guardiola's Barcelona side in 2010/11 of 16 Liga wins in a row.
Real Madrid play at the Bernabéu next, against Villarreal on Wednesday night to see if they break the record and set a new high-water mark of 17 consecutive Liga triumphs.
Zidane's record run
The basis for this attempt on the record is the string of 12 wins in the Spanish top flight that Zidane's side strung together at the end of last season in a desperate, and ultimately failed, attempt to stop Barcelona walking away with the Liga. Though they came far closer than anyone thought they would when Zidane came in.
And so far this season Real Madrid have four wins from their four matches played, to give them a run of 16 in total.
Barcelona's Liga win record
Barcelona's record was set in the 2010/11 season, where they scored 60 goals in the 16 wins, only conceding six. Real Madrid in their 16 wins have scored 51 and let in 12.
Real Madrid's next games
If Zidane's side overcome Villarreal their next Liga match will be away to Las Palmas, folowed by a home match against Eibar. Zidane though will likely only be thinking about Villarreal, because one game at a time is still football's ever present mantra.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Isco in the midst of another baffling season at Real Madrid
- CHELSEA Lampard looking at the bigger picture with Pulisic
- Serie A Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'
- BARCELONA Vidal on tattoos, his mo-hawk and some advice for Dembélé
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo, Vinicius wanted by Brazil in January
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood signs new Man United contract