Messi out for three weeks
The 29-year-old Barcelona striker limped out of Los Azulgranas' 1-1 LaLiga draw with Atlético Madrid on Wednesday evening. Sporting vs Barcelona
Barcelona confirmed late on Wednesday night that striker Lionel Messi is to miss around three weeks after suffering a groin injury in the Spanish champions' draw with Atlético Madrid.
Substituted against Atlético
"The Argentine star tore a muscle in his groin in the second half of the game against Atlético," Barça revealed in a medical statement released after the 1-1 LaLiga stalemate.
The 29-year-old was forced off in the 59th minute of the clash at the Camp Nou when he pulled up following a tussle for the ball with Atlético defender Diego Godín.
Ace to miss next three Barcelona matches
Barça have announced that he is expected to be out for the side's next three games: the upcoming league fixtures at Sporting Gijón and Celta Vigo, as well as the Catalans' Champions League match away to Borussia Moenchengladbach.
Messi is also set to miss Argentina's World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Paraguay in October, and is slated to return after the international break.
Barcelona host Deportivo La Coruña in LaLiga on Saturday 15th and meet Manchester City in Europe four days later.
Dogged by recent groin complaints
It is the second time that he has endured groin problems this season, having had to sit out his country's 2-2 Russia 2018 draw with Venezuela earlier this month.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Are the third stimulus checks included in 2021 IRS tax filing?
- MANCHESTER UNITED Solskjaer keeping 'fingers crossed' that Cavani stays at Man Utd
- USMNT Weston McKennie scores after facing fine for covid-19 breach
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Fastest US states to administer covid-19 vaccines
- US NEWS Covid-19 and vaccine in the US live updates: rate, where and when to get it, eligibility
- US NEWS Third stimulus check live updates: is a fourth payment coming, expected dates, plus-up payments, tracker