UK based Daily Mail has published excerpts from the 'Up Close and Personal' book by Robert Beasley which focuses on José Mourinho's spell at Real Madrid.
The coach from Setubal confesses in the book that “Real Madrid has it all except for team-spirit”. Mourinho also claims that he was surprised with the selection of Rafa Benítez as Madrid coach and confesses to Beasley that Florentino Pérez offered the Portuguese coach the possibility of a return to the Bernabeau before finally opting for Benitez: “The president values me and wanted me to return to Real Madrid and oversee a clear-out which would have included players such as Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo… I told him that it was too late”.
Zidane was also discussed before the decision to bring in Benítez: “He was considered due to his profile and status, but he made a mess of things at Castilla and Perez was worried about taking a risk. Klopp was another name highly touted but never Rafa”. Mourinho was wrong ultimately as Benítez got the job.
According to Beasley, Mourinho felt that there was too much political wrangling at Real Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA and HEALS Act live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news
- United States Who is investigating Donald Trump's companies over fraud?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City sign Valencia star Ferrán Torres
- European football Champions League and Europa League return: where is it happening and how will it work?
- Madrid Open cancelled due to coronavirus