Zidane asked about Ronaldo substitution
Zinedine Zidane, Real Madrid coach, spoke after his side were held to a 2-2 draw by Las Palmas in LaLiga Santander away in the Estadio Gran Canario. One of the main issues discussed was his decision to take off Cristiano Ronaldo in the 71st minute of the game, with Real Madrid leading 1-2.
Ronaldo angry at being substituted
Ronaldo had been off form during the game, but the Portuguese striker appeared angry and disappointed with the decision, muttering to himself as he strode towards the dug-out and refusing to look at Zidane when the coach offered his hand, though he did take it.
According to Zidane however the decision to take Ronaldo off was not to do with his performance against Las Palmas, but thinking to the future.
"We're playing on Tuesday and he has to rest from time to time. He was playing well, but I have to choose and tonight I changed him thinking about Tuesday".
Asked about the Portuguese striker's apparently angry reaction, Zidane said: "Of course he wants to stay on the pitch, but I have to think about my players and in particular Cristiano. We've got a game on Tuesday and he needs to come off occasionally".
"If you lose two goals, things haven't been perfect"
As to the game Zidane said he felt Las Palmas second equaliser had come from a lack of concentration, and that Real Madrid had had chances, but hadn't taken them, though he accepted that any time "you lose two goals, things haven't been perfect".
"We've dropped two points, but we're going to carry on", concluded Zidane.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics are returning in Tokyo 2021?
- NFL NFL's new Covid protocol has Hopkins considering retirement
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021: competition schedule: dates, times, events, sports
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING When did Michael Phelps retire? How many medals did he win?
- CORONAVIRUS How dangerous is the delta variant to children and young people?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?