Unhappy Conte set to make changes to Chelsea's defence
The Italian has lost faith in a number of high-profile players following Chelsea’s heavy loss at Arsenal and is set to make changes.
A nightmare month for Chelsea
Chelsea’s spectacular 3-0 loss to Arsenal this weekend rounded off a terrible month for the club. Antonio Conte’s side haven’t won since late August – a 3-0 win over newly-promoted Burnley – and it looks as if the Italian has decided to take steps he hopes will steady the ship.
Cahill, Ivanovic and Luiz could be axed this weekend
Reports in the English press say that Conte is strongly considering making some big changes at the back. The places of Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill are said to be under threat; Cahill in particular has borne the brunt of the criticism for the team’s latest loss after his howler led to Arsenal’s third goal just before half time on Saturday. Even David Luiz, who returned to Stamford Bridge in a big-money move from PSG less than a month ago, is being touted as a potential defensive casualty.
Conte hopes Terry and Zouma can steady the ship
With his side’s defensive frailties exposed in recent weeks, Conte is anxious for both John Terry and Kurt Zouma, who tore his cruciate ligament back in February, to return from injury. Their return to match fitness would allow Conte to try out a new centre-back pairing, starting against Hull next weekend.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA and HEALS Act live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news
- United States Who is investigating Donald Trump's companies over fraud?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City sign Valencia star Ferrán Torres
- European football Champions League and Europa League return: where is it happening and how will it work?
- Madrid Open cancelled due to coronavirus