Barcelona are set to wear their new third strip for the first time during their Champions League clash with Borussia Mönchengladbach on Wednesday night.
A nod to the iconic away shirts of the 1990s
The new shirt is a shade of mint green with teal – as are the shorts and socks – with very thin horizontal black lines, a design which Nike says will stand out under the floodlights of evening games. The choice of light green draws inspiration from a number of Barcelona’s teal away shirts manufactured by Kappa during the 1990s before the club signed a contract with Nike in 1998.
The colour has continued to be used regularly; Nike produced a teal away shirt as recently as 2010-11.
A shirt made from recycled materials
Particularly notable is the fact that the shirt is manufactured from recycled materials. Each shirt is made from 16 recycled plastic bottles, something that Nike says forms part of its commitment to sustainable innovation.
The shirt also features a number of nods to Barcelona’s rich heritage, including a small Catalan flag on the back of the collar and the words ‘Un Crit Valent’ – a valiant cry – from the club’s anthem stitched into the cuffs.
Te recomendamos en English
- MANCHESTER UNITED Pogba nowhere near ready for Man Utd return, says Solskjaer
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Marcelo has become a liability
- MANCHESTER CITY Guardiola "100 percent" behind City after Champions League ban
- BARCELONA Messi on Barcelona social media scandal: "It's a strange subject"
- VAR Wenger VAR offside proposal ruled out by IFAB for now
- MANCHESTER UNITED Van Persie: Man Utd can't keep changing coaches, give Solskjaer time