The German pro-Bayern media has rather enjoyed laying into Pep Guardiola since the Spaniard left the club for Manchester City and have made little secret of their glee at Carlo Ancelotti coming in to replace him.
In Bavaria the bitter taste of three consecutive Champions League semi-final defeats against Spanish sides still rankles – and the press is confident that Ancelotti is the man to turn the tide against Atlético on Wednesday night in the Calderón.
“Will Ancelotti do better today that Pep Guardiola?” mused Bild. The tabloid went on to state that Ancelotti will not “make the same mistakes” as Guardiola did against Atlético last season: leaving out Thomas Müller, Franck Ribéry and Jêrome Boateng. “Ancelotti will play the two stars today and Boateng will be in the team!” Bild speculated.
Lewandowski: "We'll score"
Both Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Robert Lewandowski are also confident. “We have to play differently to the last time we were in Madrid. We know how difficult Atlético are to play against but this time we’ll score,” the Poland striker said.
“We haven’t had good results against Spanish teams in the last three seasons. Now with Carlo Ancelotti we have to opportunity to show that we can get at least one point, or three…” added the club chief executive.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"