The German pro-Bayern media has rather enjoyed laying into Pep Guardiola since the Spaniard left the club for Manchester City and have made little secret of their glee at Carlo Ancelotti coming in to replace him.
In Bavaria the bitter taste of three consecutive Champions League semi-final defeats against Spanish sides still rankles – and the press is confident that Ancelotti is the man to turn the tide against Atlético on Wednesday night in the Calderón.
“Will Ancelotti do better today that Pep Guardiola?” mused Bild. The tabloid went on to state that Ancelotti will not “make the same mistakes” as Guardiola did against Atlético last season: leaving out Thomas Müller, Franck Ribéry and Jêrome Boateng. “Ancelotti will play the two stars today and Boateng will be in the team!” Bild speculated.
Lewandowski: "We'll score"
Both Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Robert Lewandowski are also confident. “We have to play differently to the last time we were in Madrid. We know how difficult Atlético are to play against but this time we’ll score,” the Poland striker said.
“We haven’t had good results against Spanish teams in the last three seasons. Now with Carlo Ancelotti we have to opportunity to show that we can get at least one point, or three…” added the club chief executive.
Te recomendamos en English
- SPAIN Spanish FA offers Luis Enrique chance to return for Euro 2020
- FOOTBALL Photo of Ajax youth player, David Easmon, goes viral
- Premier League Man United: world class players and youth as net debt soars
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: James to miss six weeks with knee injury
- PSG Neymar rejects PSG offer, holding out for Barcelona return
- EURO 2020 Low lists teams ahead of Germany at Euro 2020