The German pro-Bayern media has rather enjoyed laying into Pep Guardiola since the Spaniard left the club for Manchester City and have made little secret of their glee at Carlo Ancelotti coming in to replace him.
In Bavaria the bitter taste of three consecutive Champions League semi-final defeats against Spanish sides still rankles – and the press is confident that Ancelotti is the man to turn the tide against Atlético on Wednesday night in the Calderón.
“Will Ancelotti do better today that Pep Guardiola?” mused Bild. The tabloid went on to state that Ancelotti will not “make the same mistakes” as Guardiola did against Atlético last season: leaving out Thomas Müller, Franck Ribéry and Jêrome Boateng. “Ancelotti will play the two stars today and Boateng will be in the team!” Bild speculated.
Lewandowski: "We'll score"
Both Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Robert Lewandowski are also confident. “We have to play differently to the last time we were in Madrid. We know how difficult Atlético are to play against but this time we’ll score,” the Poland striker said.
“We haven’t had good results against Spanish teams in the last three seasons. Now with Carlo Ancelotti we have to opportunity to show that we can get at least one point, or three…” added the club chief executive.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Arsenal give up on move for Ødegaard
- EURO 2020 Brace-assist Bale sees Wales pluck Turkey
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Mbappé has the key to get out the PSG door
- EURO 2020 Eriksen advice for Denmark to counter Belgium's Lukaku
- NBA Chris Paul out for COVID: what are the NBA's health and safety protocols, and when could he play again?
- NBA All-NBA 2021: First, Second and Third Team selections