Granada sack Paco Jémez after just six games in charge
The LaLiga strugglers have dropped the axe following a winless start to the new season .
Granada have announced that they have sacked manager Paco Jémez following a poor start to the LaLiga season. Still waiting for their first win of the season, the club sit nineteenth in the table ahead only of newly-promoted Osasuna.
Jémez leaves after just six games in charge
Jémez, who took charge only a few months ago, leaves the club after just six games in charge and will speak to the press at 14:45 CEST following his final training session. Granada B coach Lluis Planagumà is set to take charge of the first team until a replacement is found.
The timing of the decision is surprising – despite the club’s poor start – as it was believed that the board was willing to give Jémez more time to turn the situation around, starting with the home match against Leganés on Saturday.
A sought-after manager just a few months ago
Jémez was widely touted as an excellent appointment in the summer following his spell at Rayo Vallecano. Though he was unable to prevent the Madrid-based side from dropping into the second tier last season he was credited with establishing an attractive style of football with very limited resources. He was even talked about as a potential replacement for Vicente del Bosque as coach of the Spanish national team, though the Spanish Federation ultimately opted for former Porto coach Julen Lopetegui.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Gareth Bale determined to seize Clásico chance
- BARCELONA Barcelona: at least three players could leave in the January window
- REAL MADRID Barnett: "There's no guarantee that Bale is leaving Real Madrid"
- SERIE A "We're living in 1920": Lukaku's agent 'ashamed' of 'Black Friday' headline
- SERIE A Smalling: 'Black Friday' headline "wrong and highly insensitive"
- CRYSTAL PALACE Andros Townsend opens up about his gambling addiction: "I lost €54,000 in one night"