Real Madrid tracking Sporting Lisbon promise Gelson Martins
Manchester United are also keeping a close eye on the Portuguese youngster, who has been electric so far this season in the Primeira Liga.
Gelson Martin’s performance in Sporting Lisbon’s match against Real Madrid in the Champions League was enough to ensure that half of Europe’s top clubs sat up and paid attention.
Manchester United, Real Madrid watching
But as is always the case these days only the biggest spenders can reasonably expect to snap up the next big things in football. According to Portuguese daily Record, Real Madrid and Manchester United are already watching the 21-year-old’s progression with interest.
Two goals, five assists
This season Martins has featured in all eight of Sporting’s matches, scoring twice and laying on five assists. In Portugal there is a groundswell of opinion that he will receive his first call-up to the full national side in the next round of international fixtures. Portugal boss Jorge Jesús said recently “there’s nobody like him.”
Salary 10 times less than Odegaard
Incredibly, Martins earns 10 times less at Sporting than Martin Odegaard does at Real Madrid: 120,000 euros a season. However, Sporting are aware of the growing interest in their young star and are preparing a succulent contract offer. Martins’ current deal runs until 2021 and already contains a 60 million euro minimum release clause.
Real Madrid attempted to sign Martins two years ago on a loan deal with a purchase option, the idea being to start him off at Castilla. Sporting flatly refused to do business. Now Martins is being followed again but for a place in the first team squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barça president agrees "3 years could be enough for Valverde"
- PRMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us
- Premier League Arsenal ready to pull the plug on Ljungberg after two games
- Villarreal 0-0 Atlético Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
- BARCELONA-ESPANYOL The Japanese pearl of the Masia, Kubo returns to Barcelona