Ex-Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has declared that Atlético Madrid wouldn't be a Champions League side were it not for boss Diego Simeone.
Bayern visit Atlético in the group stages of Europe's top club competition tonight (20:45 CEST), having lost out to Los Rojiblancos in last season's semi-finals.
Simeone the difference at Atlético
Hitzfeld, who led Bayern to Champions League glory in 2001, told Sport1: "Simeone is the leader and Atletico have done exceptionally under him."
And he added: "Without Simeone, Atlético wouldn't be in the top four in LaLiga."
Bayern face "very tough" assignment
Looking ahead to the sides' clash in Madrid, the 67-year-old said: "Bayern have a very tough match against Atlético. They were beaten by them last year, so they have a score to settle."
Te recomendamos en English
- Liga MX FMF could disaffiliate Cruz Azul due to the Treasury investigation
- CORONAVIRUS USA New York state reopening: which regions are passing to phase 2?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS New York state reopening: Gov Cuomo explains when and how
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus What to do if your stimulus check was sent to the wrong address?