Ex-Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has declared that Atlético Madrid wouldn't be a Champions League side were it not for boss Diego Simeone.
Bayern visit Atlético in the group stages of Europe's top club competition tonight (20:45 CEST), having lost out to Los Rojiblancos in last season's semi-finals.
Simeone the difference at Atlético
Hitzfeld, who led Bayern to Champions League glory in 2001, told Sport1: "Simeone is the leader and Atletico have done exceptionally under him."
And he added: "Without Simeone, Atlético wouldn't be in the top four in LaLiga."
Bayern face "very tough" assignment
Looking ahead to the sides' clash in Madrid, the 67-year-old said: "Bayern have a very tough match against Atlético. They were beaten by them last year, so they have a score to settle."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro and Valverde form the ideal midfield partnership
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey draw: 2019/20 first-round pairings revealed
- ENGLAND England: Southgate believes Sterling tweet brought closure to Gomez incident
- BARCELONA Rakitic: Barcelona turn down Premier League offer
- Serie A Manchester United: Koulibaly not planning on Napoli departure
- Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal