Ex-Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has declared that Atlético Madrid wouldn't be a Champions League side were it not for boss Diego Simeone.
Bayern visit Atlético in the group stages of Europe's top club competition tonight (20:45 CEST), having lost out to Los Rojiblancos in last season's semi-finals.
Simeone the difference at Atlético
Hitzfeld, who led Bayern to Champions League glory in 2001, told Sport1: "Simeone is the leader and Atletico have done exceptionally under him."
And he added: "Without Simeone, Atlético wouldn't be in the top four in LaLiga."
Bayern face "very tough" assignment
Looking ahead to the sides' clash in Madrid, the 67-year-old said: "Bayern have a very tough match against Atlético. They were beaten by them last year, so they have a score to settle."
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Inter Miami will allow fans to attend match against Orlando City
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Latest News USA When does daylight saving time end in the USA and when do the clocks go back?
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why is McConnell advising against the deal?
- Football Raja Casablanca petition CAF to postpone Zamalek match