Isco’s inclusion in Julen Lopetegui’s squad to face Italy and Albania in Spain’s upcoming World Cup qualifying fixtures came as a surprise to many given that the forward has found playing time hard to come by this season.
Isco included despite lack of playing time
The Andalusian has played just 57 minutes of league football for Real Madrid this year and his place in the squad was considered to be at risk. His lack of playing time, however, has not deterred Lopetegui.
“Isco hasn’t played much. It is worrying but I have faith in him and I know he can contribute a lot,” said the coach on Friday morning following the announcement of the squad.
Morata and Vázquez also included, Asensio to the U21s
Real Madrid teammates Álvaro Morata and Lucas Vázquez, who have also struggled for playing time, were also included while Marco Asensio was selected instead for the U21 squad as they prepare to face San Marino and Estonia in qualifiers for the U21 European Championships in 2017.
Fàbregas continues to be overlooked
Among a number of surprises in the squad, Cesc Fàbregas continues to be overlooked. Loptegui says that his decision to omit the Catalan midfielder from his squad wasn’t purely based on his lack of playing time and difficult start to the season at Chelsea under Antonio Conte. “We like a lot of players and they can’t all play,” he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Kroos says whoever adapts quickest will win LaLiga
- MLS MLS and Players have reached a new agreement to green light the 2020 season
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: what does ‘Need More Information' on IRS Get My Payment tool mean?
- Barcelona Barcelona: Messi could miss the return of LaLiga due to injury