Mathieu calls time on his international career
The Barcelona defender contacted Didier Deschamps to tell him that he will no longer be available for the national team due to the secondary role he has been given.
Au revoir Mathieu
Jérémy Mathieu has decided to call time on his international career with France, as a number of media outlets in the country have been reporting. The Barcelona defender had a heart-to-heart with Didier Deschamps to put his position forward; he has also handed in a written resignation to the French Football Federation. It also explains why Mathieu's name was missing from the last squad list - his place going to Valencia's Eliaquim Mangala.
Mathieu has not felt comfortable playing in a secondary role and cannot see himself being called by the time 2018 World Cup Russia comes around, and for that reason he would rather dedicate himself 100% to Barça without the worry of the national team. He was exactly enthralled at being left out of France's Euro 2016 squad after forcing his recovery from a knee injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS IRS checks: what does tax refund 30 mean?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos will be back one day, says Toni Kroos
- NFL Carl Nassib announcement "historical landmark" for NFL - Ryan Russell
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group E: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- NBA Coach Tyronn Lue hopes the home arena ambiance will help indisposed Clippers
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: why could the US be the next country hit with the delta variant?