Mathieu calls time on his international career
The Barcelona defender contacted Didier Deschamps to tell him that he will no longer be available for the national team due to the secondary role he has been given.
Au revoir Mathieu
Jérémy Mathieu has decided to call time on his international career with France, as a number of media outlets in the country have been reporting. The Barcelona defender had a heart-to-heart with Didier Deschamps to put his position forward; he has also handed in a written resignation to the French Football Federation. It also explains why Mathieu's name was missing from the last squad list - his place going to Valencia's Eliaquim Mangala.
Mathieu has not felt comfortable playing in a secondary role and cannot see himself being called by the time 2018 World Cup Russia comes around, and for that reason he would rather dedicate himself 100% to Barça without the worry of the national team. He was exactly enthralled at being left out of France's Euro 2016 squad after forcing his recovery from a knee injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $3,000/$3,600 child tax credit: how long would stimulus measure last?
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla live online: Copa del Rey semi-final 2020-21
- USMNT England want to persuade Yunus Musah to leave the USMNT
- MANCHESTER UNITED De Gea, Martial doubts for Man Utd ahead of derby with Man City
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 $15 minimum wage: what's the state of the current negotiation and who is pushing for it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS $1,400 stimulus check: new eligibility criteria for payment to filers