Mathieu calls time on his international career
The Barcelona defender contacted Didier Deschamps to tell him that he will no longer be available for the national team due to the secondary role he has been given.
Au revoir Mathieu
Jérémy Mathieu has decided to call time on his international career with France, as a number of media outlets in the country have been reporting. The Barcelona defender had a heart-to-heart with Didier Deschamps to put his position forward; he has also handed in a written resignation to the French Football Federation. It also explains why Mathieu's name was missing from the last squad list - his place going to Valencia's Eliaquim Mangala.
Mathieu has not felt comfortable playing in a secondary role and cannot see himself being called by the time 2018 World Cup Russia comes around, and for that reason he would rather dedicate himself 100% to Barça without the worry of the national team. He was exactly enthralled at being left out of France's Euro 2016 squad after forcing his recovery from a knee injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- Football Edinson Cavani apologises for social media post
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- LIGA MX Paul Aguilar will play in Major League Soccer next year
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022
- US Election 2020 US Election: when is the electoral college vote?
- FORTNITE Fortnite Galactus Live Event: date and times