Granada confirm Lucas Alcaraz as new coach
The Andalucian outfit released a statement late on Monday evening welcoming Alcaraz "to his new home". The 50-year-old replaces Paco Jémez.
Granada appoint Alcaraz
Granada confirmed on Monday evening that they have appointed Lucas Alcaraz as the new first team coach until the end of the present season. He will take charge of the first team's squad training session tomorrow and be officially unveiled immediately afterwards at the press room in the club's training facilities. The 50-year-old comes in as a replacement for Paco Jémez, who was sacked by the LaLiga strugglers last week after overseeing a disastrous start to the season.
Granada-born Alcaraz has already had two prior spells at his hometown club - his first managerial position was at Los Cármenes where he spent three seasons from 1995-98, and he returned in 2013 after spells at several Andalucian sides including Recreativo, Almería, Córdoba and Xerez.
His last managerial position was at Levante, where he spent a year at the helm before being relieved of his duties in October 2015.
Alcaraz's name was the first on directors' list of candidates, ahead of Lluis Planagumà who stood in as caretaker coach for the weekend meeting with Leganés. Granada confirm that Planagumà will return to his post with the reserve team.
Jémez fired only six games into campaign
Jémez was dismissed on Wednesday after just three months in the job, having led Granada to a mere two points from their opening six league games.
Basement boys after weekend loss
Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to newly-promoted Leganés saw Granada slip to the bottom of the LaLiga table with seven matches played.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Butragueño: "Everyone knows what Zidane means to us"
- SCOTLAND Rafa Benítez linked to Celtic job, on his return to Europe
- OLYMPIC GAMES Rapinoe: "I'd be 'devastated if the Tokyo Olympics are cancelled"
- UFC Khabib tells Dana White: "I'm so many levels above these guys"
- UFC UFC 257: McGregor hits back at critical Khabib after Poirier loss
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check live updates today: Biden executive order, who will get and when to expect it